Weddings (St. Lucia)
Destination weddings have become a trend in recent years and the Caribbean is one of the favoured locations. This has been a popular choice due to the ease and convenience of getting married and honeymooning in the same location. As such, St. Lucia has been named the World’s Leading Honeymoon Destination nine times, and there is questioning why. The island offers some of the finest wedding and honeymoon settings imaginable, guaranteed to provide you with the wedding (and honeymoon) of your dreams. This article will provide you with helpful information about getting married in St. Lucia.
Why St. Lucia?
- The weather – one of the main reasons to have a destination wedding in St. Lucia is that the weather is consistently tropical for most of the year.
- Easily accessible by air – many flights are available from anywhere in the world to St. Lucia
- The scenery – this includes not only its beaches, but the stunning mountain scenery as a result of the island being a volcanic island.
- The variety of wedding locations (see more below)
- The activities – there is so much to do, see and explore in St. Lucia and this makes it the perfect honeymoon destination. So, why not get married and honeymoon in one location?
- It’s easy! – there is no residency requirement to get married in St. Lucia. In fact, you can get married the same day you land on the island, simply by purchasing a marriage licence for just $540 EC (or wait two days and pay $335 EC).
What do I need to get married in St. Lucia?
- Valid passport
- Birth certificate
- Original or certified copy of a divorce decree (if applicant has been divorced).
- Original or certified copy of a death certificate (in the case of widow/widower)
- A sworn affidavit of consent stamped by a Notary Public if one of the parties is under age 18
The above documents must all be submitted in English. However, if the originals are in another language, an authenticated translation in addition to the originals must be submitted.
Where to get married in St. Lucia?
There is absolutely no shortage of places to get married in St. Lucia. For the traditionalist, you can make arrangements through your hotel to get married at a church. The Roman Catholic Church tends to be the most popular for destination weddings and there is no shortage of these across the island as 80% of the population is from this faith; but there are also other types of churches available. However, for those who want the full destination wedding experience, here are a few ideas:
- The Beach – St Lucia, as with most Caribbean islands is known for its stunning beaches. Imagine saying “I do” to “the one” against the backdrop of crystal blue waters with the soft sand beneath your feet. Some popular choices for beach weddings in St. Lucia are:
- Reduit Beach, Rodney Bay
- Sugar Beach, Soufriere
- Pigeon Island, Gros Islet
- Anse Cochon, Anse La Raye
- Waterfalls – a popular choice for younger and more adventurous couples. Some of the best waterfalls you can choose for your destination wedding include Diamond Falls and Toraille Falls in Soufriere, and Latille Falls in Micoud.
- Historical Parks – Don’t be fooled by the name. These historical parks have some of the most beautiful views you will ever see in your lifetime. The park of choice for weddings is Pigeon Island National Park, located nearby the equally exquisite Rodney Bay. Other choices further south of the island include Fond Doux Estate, Fond Latisab Heritage Park, Balenbouche Estate and Fond d’Or Nature Heritage Park.
- The Pitons – the Piton Mountains offer the most amazing backdrop for your wedding. And, it is easy to arrange. You can choose to stay at one of the nearby hotels that offer wedding packages (for example Sugar Beach, Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain) or arrange with any of the private wedding planners (see below) to make this dream a reality.
Botanical Gardens – a time honoured favourite for destination weddings with the backdrop of flora and fauna and sweet tropical island scents. Mamiku Gardens and Diamond Botanical Gardens (with its waterfalls nearby) are ideal choices.
Many of the stunning resorts and hotels in St Lucia offer wedding packages that not only provides you with the perfect setting for your big day, but also provide you with the assistance you need to get everything organized. It should be noted that most of these such resorts have been rated as the top places to stay in St. Lucia as well. Some of these resorts and hotels that offer wedding packages include:
- Anse Chastanet Resort
- Bay Gardens Resort
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
- Windjammer Landing Beach Resort
- Jade Mountain Resort
- Ladera Resort
- Calabash Cove Resort and Spa
- Coco Palm Resort
- Capella Marigot Bay Resort
- Cap Maison
Wedding Planning Services in St. Lucia
While most resorts and hotels with their various wedding packages usually have wedding planners to ensure your big day goes off without a hitch, there are also many other private wedding planners that can assist you, if you are not planning your wedding through a hotel or resort:
- Awesome Caribbean Weddings
Tel: (758) 450-0300
- Barefoot Holidays
Tel: (758) 450-0507
- Dreamy Weddings
Tel: (758) 720-8692
- Landmark Weddings
Tel: (758) 452-8416
- Options Inc.
Tel: (758) 450-0819 / (758) 452-3172
- Saint Lucia National Trust
Tel: (758) 452-5005
- Simply Beautiful Weddings
These are the main aspects that you need to know when getting married in St. Lucia. It is evident that once you deal with the details such as the documents that you need to get married, everything else will fall into place. Book your stay, find your wedding planner and choose where you want to get married on this beautiful island. You will not regret making it your island of choice for a destination wedding.